Tuesday, January 12, 2010

10-26-2009

Acts 20:35 (Amplified Bible)

35In everything I have pointed out to you [by example] that, by working diligently in this manner, we ought to assist the weak, being mindful of the words of the Lord Jesus, how He Himself said, It is more blessed (makes one happier and more [a]to be envied) to give than to receive.


Now I know we just did this same Scripture on Friday but I feel like God wants me to repeat this so this must be very important. He gave me some different perspectives on this one. So again this is Rule #8 - Be Supportive of One Another. On Friday, I used the word "encourage" more than I did the word "support" or "supportive." The word "support" has several meanings. Here are several of them: 1) to bear the weight of, especially from below; 2) to hold in position so as to keep from falling, sinking, or slipping; 3) to be capable of bearing; withstand; 3) to keep from weakening or failing; strengthen; 5) to provide for or maintain, by supplying with money or necessities; 6) to furnish corroborating evidence for; 7) to aid the cause, policy or interests of; to argue in favor of - advocate; 8) to endure or tolerate; 9) to provide the necessities of life.

As I looked further into this word, I saw other definitions that I thought were very interesting. These came from the Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. U.S. Dept of Defense 2005. The first definition is the action of a force that aids, protects, complements, or sustains another force in accordance with a directive requiring such action. I think that is just so good. I just love it! I think God is talking about joining forces with other believers (supporting one another) in unity. The second definition is: a unit that helps another unit in battle. Yes, this is really good now. And the third is: an element of a command that assists, protects, or supplies other forces in combat. Do you think God is trying to tell us something here?

I've said before that I think these "house rules" complement one another. God has spoken before about unity in the Body of Christ. Being supportive of one another not only means our friends and family in our church but also other churches and the whole Body of Christ coming together as one to go after the enemy - Satan. Even though we are different denominations, we have the same objective - to bring others into the Kingdom of God and to take the devil's kingdom down! When we are unified, look what we can do. We should assist each other in our common goal, protect each other and share with each other the tools we have learned to take the enemy down and bring more into God's Kingdom. Support each other individually and as the corporate Body of Christ.